Sunday, October 27, 2013

The Sociology of Leopard Man

Most of society isn’t comfortable with people who get tattoos, piercings or with people who dye their hair or style it different ways than “normal” people. Those people are known as nonconformists. In Logan Fey’s article “The sociology of leopard man” he says “Society tends to discourage people from expressing their unique ideas and behaving in ways that are different from their peers. “ I agree with that author and his statement that people do treat other people different if they act or appear different.

In Logan Fey’s article, he argues that people with tattoos, piercings or extraordinary hair does all the things to them for attention.  I would disagree with his statement because I think people dress that way so they can express themselves and most importantly because they feel like it. There is nothing wrong with people who dress different from the rest. I think people shouldn’t judge people based on their look or how they dress.

In paragraph five he states “Pop psychologists reassure the masses that abnormal people suffer from psychological disorders.”  I would disagree with this statement as well. I don’t believe that people with abnormal physical appearance or personalities suffer from any disorders or diseases. You should just let people be themselves without thinking they have a disorder.

Logan Feys says “Such people are desperate for society’s attention.” I would somewhat agree with him. I do believe some people are desperate for society’s attention.  Some would go to such lengths for the approval of society which in my opinion is not all that important.  I believe someone should not wait to be approved by society and just be themselves.


Logan said “Society tends to discourage people from expressing their unique ideas and behaving in ways that are different from their peers.” I agree with him but not entirely. Not everyone changes to impress society or to get an opinion from another person. I wait for a day not close enough for people not to judge one another over their appearance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment